Aunt Caroline's Brownies

More comfort food. We all need it. The stuff that almost gives you an almost medicinal fix of nostalgia, fuzzy-slipper happiness, and gratification in one bite.

My best friend in high school, Jodi, and I had this thing with brownies. We were rather obsessed. I think I spent more time at her house than I did at my own. And her "Grammie Newcombe" always had this ginormous jelly roll pan of brownies waiting for us. They were always in the cupboard to right of the sink.

We would get our plate of brownies, head to the bedroom and get ready for the marathon of homework and music. George Michael was howling, "I Want Your Sex"....and we would screech out the part "C-c-c-c-c-c-cmonn". Looking back, I am pretty sure her grandmother and Bobo (grampie) could hear us, but they never once came in and complained of the smut that we listened to. For the eighties, these were ground breaking lyrics!!

This recipe came from my Aunt Caroline (hence the title), who is a baker extraordinaire. They are chewy, chocolatey and rich. I rarely put frosting on these...they never last that long. They are also the best companion for ice cream, warm out of the oven.

**Singing***

It's natural
It's chemical
It's logical
Habitual.............

Yep....they really are that good!

Aunt Caroline's Brownies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in bowl. Set aside. In large saucepan, melt butter, remove from heat and stir in cocoa. Blend in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Blend in dry ingredients. Bake in greased 8 x 8 pan at 350° for 20-25 minutes, till toothpick comes clean. DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!

Dig in!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

Anonymous said…
you kill me Wendy The Wonderful!!! I might have to make these but I can feel the 5 extra lbs I would have to lose!!
Pat
Unknown said…
Another Baking Triumph!!! I wish I could bake. I can but not like you. I do not create masterpieces with my oven :D
Nesa said…
you are evil, E V I L wendy!!
Anonymous said…
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh yes!! The infamous A.C. brownies. They are as good and chewy as they look. Delish!!!
Have made these myself a lot. My, but can Auntie C. bake . Yes, Wendy it is not hard to tell family lineage is a wonderful thing. Man, the pics really get my mouth watering for a taste of these. I will have to check out pantry ingredients to see whats there. Not hard to tell I haven't baked lately.
Home sick, still, but maybe, just maybe a brownie wil cure all my ills.
Kimmie
Anonymous said…
Delish Wendy... simply delish. You're right no time to put icing on them... besides they don't need any!

Love ya, Trish xo
Wendy Kennedy said…
Yep, they are wick just the way they are!! I am glad you liked them!