Brown Sugar Shortbread

Do you ever experience those baking smells that take you right back to a moment in time where you can remember the most vivid of details?? These cookies do that for me. Actually this is a dual-moment cookie.

The first moment is when I was about 12. I was a member of an all-girls club, called CGIT (Canadian Girls in Training). We always told anyone who asked it stood for the Cutest Girls in Town. Much more exciting, I think. We were invited to a sleep-over at our Team Leader's house, god bless her soul for taking on the challenge. We did crafts (my mother still has the delightful ceramic and decoupage plaque...**gag**...HOLLY HOBBY RULES), made pizza, watched scary movies that I was forced into (Damian...what a little cuss he was), and the finale was a MASSIVE cookie sheet of Brown Sugar shortbread.

Her method was a little different but the smell is still the same. That caramelly, brown sugared, crispy cookie smell that drew all of us girls into her small pantry kitchen. I remember the way she cut them...she patted the entire batch into a cookie sheet, then scored them into diamond shapes when they were still warm. I remember sitting beside my best friend Carrie Ann, and just how her hair looked. It is amazing how one little cookie can hold all this information. Microsoft really WAS onto something.

The other memory this cookie holds is one of sitting in my sister Kim's kitchen, with a massive pot of coffee and just talking about anything and everything. She is the one who gave me this recipe, and it always makes me think of her when I bake them. Oh, if those cookies could talk, they would tell which paint color Kim was doing her bedroom, how many types of mint she was planting in her herb garden and probably how many times our husbands left the toilet seats up that week. You can always rant over a good cookie!!

The recipe is simple...you need no cooking degree to whip them up. You might even find yourself walking down memory lane.

Brown Sugar Shortbread
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 cup of butter, softened
3/4 cup of sieved brown sugar
2 cups flour

Beat butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in flour. Dough will be stiff. Shape into 1" balls. Place on parchament lined cookie sheet. Flatten with fork (I used cookie press). Bake at 300° for 20-30 minutes until edge are light golden brown.

**BROWN IS THE NEW BLACK**
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yet another savory product from the "queen's" kitchen. The buttery taste of these cookies will surely create tasty memories.
I surely miss the official taste tests .
Kim
Anonymous said…
I love the pictures Wendy. If I close my eyes I can think I am back home again. Sitting at your table with Annette and Wanda. The kids drooling over the things that were to come out of your oven. I can smell the aroma wafting from one of your two ovens. (OH YES PEOPLE, THIS IS ONE SERIOUS COOK!) Yes, I am getting a bit nostalgic. Sorry. just missing you , your cooking and everyone. I can't wait until March.
To anyone out there viewing these recipes, know that Wendy is a very special person! She is the corner stone of our family. Always greeting you when you came, announced or not. Always a smile on her face, a pot of coffee and a snack to offer. If she didn't have anything baked, which was a rarity, she whipped something up as she would talk over her shoulder smiling. Wendy is one to never complain about company, or anything for that matter. I know at times she must want to pull her hair out.She is a busy woman with work, going to the gym, shopping for the next outfit for her or the kids, refinishing some piece of furniture building, painting or decorating. Yep, she can shop and find the best bargains like no one else, I say!!.But she is always giving.Be proud to correspond this one fine woman!!!
Love ya
Kimmie
Anonymous said…
Oh my gawd you two...the cookies look delish....but I had to go find the kleenex box to get through your comments!! I could use one of those cookies right now!!
Laura
Anonymous said…
Sorry Laura the finesse for these tales run in the family.
I will try not to make them so sappy.
hehe
Yes I too could use several of these cookies. I had to suffice with a cup of hot chocolate and a few chocolate chips. Not the same effect as something decadent of Wendy's.
Kim