Chocolate Chip Scones

Biscuits or scones??? That is the question. To some, there really is no difference. BUT, alas, there is indeed a difference. I remember once a family gathering at my grandmother's house. I lived with them for a few years and did most of the baking during that time. On this one occasion, I had whipped up a batch of biscuits for guests. One guest while eating says, and I quote, "Who made these lovely SCONS"?? I of course bit right onto that, with a retort said aloud only in my mind, "What the HELL is a SCON??" Where did the "E" go, I wondered??? A biscuit is light and fluffy, and delish for sure. But, the scone is a little more dense in texture and easily made into a sweet version with the addition of chocolate chips, toffee bits and cinnamon chips. Drizzled with a little icing doesn't hurt either. If you are forced to adding gelatinous pustules, I can get past that, just as long as you don't make them when I drop by for a visit. Save those for the neighbors. I will admit, I may be a tad anal on the whole spelling thing. I think it stems from a Crossword addiction, but do the scone right and add that "E". ***OK, after Ann's comment was posted I did some research..lol. The American (or in my case, Canadian pronunciation IS scone, with a long O. It can also be pronounced "skoon", too. I guess we were just never told in school there was another way to say it...those darn teachers....lol. Spelled the same, 3 ways to say it...who'd a thunk it???*** Basic British Scones ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 pinch salt 1/4 cup margarine 1/8 cup white sugar 3/4 cup milk ***1/4 cup mini chocolate chips added for recipe alteration*** DIRECTIONS 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 2. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a bowl. 3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar(and chocolate chips at this point) and enough milk to mix to a soft dough. 4. Turn onto a floured surface, knead lightly and roll out to a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush with milk to glaze. 5. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

Anonymous said…
Man, Wen they look sooo good. I can just taste one now. You BETTER save one for me when I come out tomorrow morning.
Anonymous said…
Yummy Wendy!! Acup of tea and a scon!! sorry,would be scrumptious.
Kimmie C.
Anonymous said…
Dearest Wendy,
You know I luv you BUT.....

I have strong feelings about the history and correct deference to 'SCONS' too! Having a strong English background, and being a country girl, the scone is definitely a part of my heritage.

Firstly NO real scone (pronounced Scon) is anything but ROUND!!!
Secondly the only 'flavours' of a self respecting scone is plain, or fruit (containing those 'pustules' you loath). I do admit that the pumpkin scone is probably not an English original but has gained respectibility and pedagree from being in the Australian cusine for many, many years. Cheese scones are also now acceptable.

As you say, scones are denser than the American 'biscuit' but only a light and fluffy scone will win first prize in a competition like the annual Royal Show.

Having said that, I can be pretty sure your scones are amazing and I would never be so snobby as to refuse to eat one (or two, or three ......)

Hugs,

Ann Lockett
Wendy Kennedy said…
OMG Ann, you do crack me up!! See now I learned something new today. I have never heard of that pronunciation, which I am sure is totally a regional thing. ***Going now to book a trip to the English countryside***.

BTW, I am partial to the plain scone, with nothing but a cup of tea to go with it!
Nesa said…
And this is why my diet and my weight are so glad we are not neighbors. Otherwise i'd need garage doors to get in and out of my house living near someone who bakes like you!