Peanut Butter Fudge

OK, it is true. I am a self-professed girly-girl. I like the hair, the make-up and the 4 inch heels. But there is my alter-ego. The one that likes the smell of grease and gas fumes, the roar of a souped up engine and dreams of tearing up the streets in a pimped out muscle car.

When I was little, I would like to spend time in my dad's garage. My dad was a mechanic, so there was every gadget and gizmo known to mankind (and some that weren't) in his garage. I would go out when he was working and just kind of hover and watch. I spent a lot of time just taking up space in that garage.

Dad always kept the doors locked, but what mom and dad didn't know was that every time they went for a drive, I was out in the garage as soon as the car left the driveway. The attraction inside was my most favorite: the CB radio!! Oh the fascination that silver box would bring. My sister Kim and I would tune those buttons until we found someone that had a thick Southern accent. To us, they were the most fun to talk to. I don't remember talking about anything in particular, but whatever the topic, I was thrilled!!!

There were other things, too, that drew our attention to the garage. Dad has such a creative flair for taking all these "things" that he has lying around and making something magical from them. He would create all sorts of ingenious things, like garden ornaments from shovel blades and garden rakes. Or a new tool for mom's garden that couldn't be found in any store. He could take almost any piece of scrap metal and see some sort of beauty that maybe others didn't see. He could see the potential. It always fascinates me to this day.

Now when we stop in to mom and dad's, there are still the occasional trips to the garage. Dad always takes pride in showing us what new gadget he has invented, what projects he is working on. I look around now and see all those rusty parts, bare bicycle wheels and wrenches but I now, too, can see the beauty. I breathe in the smell of grease I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

**My dad's favorite fudge is Peanut Butter...I think he will be happy when he gets a nice delivery tomorrow!!**

Peanut Butter Fudge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INGREDIENTS:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4 cups white sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme

DIRECTIONS:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside. Butter a 3 quart saucepan.
2. Place buttered saucepan over medium heat, and combine sugar, evaporated milk and 1 cup butter within. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface.
3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and marshmallow creme. Beat vigorously until smooth. Pour quickly into prepared baking dish. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

***I always like to add in some extra chopped honey roasted peanuts for added crunch!!**

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

Anonymous said…
**thud**

S'cuse me...that was just me hitting the floor......I could so kill for a piece of that fudge right now.

Yes, the good times in the garage were many. We should take a road trip next weekend to experience it all over again!
Anonymous said…
Please bring fudge with you!! I suppose I could really make it myself.
Yes the ol' c.b. radio lingo. I did win a quiz once in school about c.b. talk. Hail the almighty C.B. 10-4 Good buddy!! Everyone looked at me like I had two heads, Saying," how does she know this stuff" ...... alas.. the good ol' Pot Hauler's daughters didn't set around the garage for nuthin!!
This one is going out to you "Waynzee."
Good times Wen...good times!!.
When you go to the garage next time , please take some pictures for me. Black and white would be nice. Thanxs!!
Catch ya on the flip- flop!!
Kimmie c.