Skor Squares

For most of my life I kept a diary. I am so glad now that I did, as it remains the source of MUCH entertainment.

My daughter's friend's have made our house the commonplace for sleepovers. When one arrives, they all arrive!! It is the time for family as well as friends, so my sisters are always on the invite list, too.

There is food galore...cookies, cheesecake and gooey squares. There are stories of boys, clothes and accessories, and that is just the adult conversation!

My diaries take precedence at these sleepovers. Wanda, my extremely animated sister, takes full pride in reading and acting out various excerpts from the "Diaries". Be it how good Sheldon and Bill looked in their rugby pants (omg...it is only mentioned every second page), or how "choice" (really bad 80's word) Blaine and Dwayne's hair was, all flipped back...there is never a dry eye. No, it is not tears of sorrow, but more from howling and falling to the floor in pain because we are laughing so hard.

My daughters friends will have many a story to take with them from our home. We all sit in a circle around my very small kitchen table and listen as Wanda also moves from my obsession with boys and hair, to my other obvious obsession with baking. Good lord, what NORMAL 12 year old has desire to whip up batches of biscuits, cakes and cookies on an almost daily basis?? I was seriously askew as a child. There is documented proof.

I find it so amazing that 17 year old girls will sit and listen to these "readings", and not one of them move from their spot while the Diaries are being read. I remember my life at that stage, and I didn't have what they have. My daughter has 3 very young and hip aunts who will talk about almost anything with her and her friends. I think that is why they so enjoy it....because we ARE young in our minds and spirits. I think they want to be a part of that. Plus, watching Wanda perform is pure hilarity.

With our impending move, I am sure there will be one last sleepover....one more cracking open of the diaries and a pan of Skor squares whipped up to go with the midnight coffee. I am most positive there will be one more page that I will talk about how Craig's lips looked so soft, or how I was going to ignore Bill once again to get his attention, and for SURE how I was going to try a new recipe for squares on Saturday.

My life as a teenager was good. It was filled with sappy-sweet memories, yummy food and TONS of hot guys. VIVA LA 80's!!!!

Skor Squares
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix together till fine crumbs form then pat into greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes, or till light golden brown. Remove from oven.

In medium saucepan put 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter, Cook over medium low heat till thickened. Pour and spread over crust layer. Put back in oven for 12 minutes or till light golden.

Sprinkle with a bag of milk chocolate chips. Let stand for about 2 minutes, then spread over top of squares. Sprinkle with one bag or Skor bits. Cool then cut.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Comments

Anonymous said…
Harghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Yes the good times we have truly had at the sleepovers. And the "diaries" are something, I think, that should be put into a book someday. They could be called "Iris - The Wonder Years - From the Backseat to the Baking Pan".

Those good times will always be spent tucked away in the back of my memory, for when you are gone, that is all I will have....is my memories.

Ok, ffs, now that you have me in tears, pour me some coffee and cut me a square...I am on my way out!!!!
Anonymous said…
Well well well... I am going to this said "sleepover" whether I'm invited or not. I WILL prove I am a MacDonald sista once and for all. I CAN and WILL entertain like the rest of yas. I, like my sis Wendy, can bake up a storm. But, alas I am not like Kimmie too much... I hate the gym and dirt. But I suppose I am like her in a way, I don't mind testing someone elses baking and cooking. So, my extended family... if I catch word of when this said "sleepover" is. Don't be surprised if you hear a knocking or a growling tummy at your door... and not to worry I always have a blanket in the car ;)

I only have one sister and I'm glad I was raised beside the perfect extended family... From Gram and Grampie to you girls I love yas from the bottom of my heart.

Trish xox
Anonymous said…
And you guys all know about me and Wandie... I know we share some dna or something. She's my long lost twin.

Trish
Bigkiang said…
Okay Wendy O, have you ever considered taking over for Anna Olson on 'Sugar' now that she busy with Kitchen Equipped? By the way, who's Bill??
Wendy Kennedy said…
OH, Bigkiang, thanks for the compliment. Bill was this Marky-Mark lookalike...although I can't be sure, as I haven't ever seen him model Calvin Kleins. ;-)
Anonymous said…
These blogs are definitely turning much to sappy for mental ol' me!!
Is it only now that I am realizing what a wonderful family and childhood I had ?
The years do fly by, way too fast,I might add.
I do miss the "diary" sessions as well as the endless pots of coffee and trays of every imaginable dessert. Oh yes, the antics by Wandie were one of the many highlghts of the evening.
Or one of the many faces and gestures Annette could conjure up. Man, drama really does run in our family!
Trying to stay awake until you have your eyelids propped open with toothpicks (oh the joys)!
Or having fits of laughter at Wandie because we are all sleep deprived, are definitely signs of a gooooooood time!!!
Trish, you will have to take up ranks with Wandie once Wendy leaves. The diaries and the baking must continue!
These postings could go on for some time people,so grab a blanket and many cups fo coffee and start reading.
Here's to you sista!! Cheers!!
Kimmie C.
Anonymous said…
Hi Little Wen,
Just reading your post and my oh my what a tear jerker as you know I blubber at the drop of a pin.Snuff Snuff .!!!!!!!I can see all you girls sitting around the table and then Wan doing what she knows best.I just know I wouldn't be able to breathe if I was there.What a wonderful idea to make this blog,and oh my to get Carolines brownie recipe.I sure hope when you move and after you get settled in that you keep it going.Even though I am diabetic and cant eat this stuff I still love recepies of all sorts.I still remember going to your house many years ago and having a cup of coffee and that hot monkey bread was to die for.Well Martha I will be looking for your next post.
Love Aunt Linda
Anonymous said…
Indeed Aunt Linnie...Wendy is the queen of the kitchen for sure. Always sure to leave with a full belly with you are at her house!

Tishie, you know you are ALWAYS welcome where ever we are. The diaries will always keep up together. I still say she needs to get them published...or bronzed....lol

Kimmie, can't wait to see you.
Anonymous said…
I'm really not kidding... I will show up. Oh wait... maybe I shouldn't say that cause then noone will say when said "sleepover" is.

Ok, you guys have your sleepover. I won't go I promise (fingers crossed behind my back).

wink wink Love yas Trish
Anonymous said…
Buahahaha Mom, that's hilarious.
But it is true, I think that my friends get a big kick out of everyone :)
Anonymous said…
Enjoyed reading your stories and recipes. They all look good. I remember you as a darling little girl and now you are a beautiful young lady with much talent. Wishing you and your family all the best in your move. Janet
Anonymous said…
Comment puis-je importer mon blog vers un autre compte gmail?
Anonymous said…
I am genuіnely grateful to the holԁer οf thіs web sitе who has shared thiѕ wonderful post
at at thіs timе.

My website car transport