Vanilla Cupcakes

It has all been decided. The details have been finalized. And it will be a good thing.

My best friend, Laura and I have made a pact that when we die, we will dress and do the make-up on the body, for whomever is the first to go.

For anyone who knows me knows I have a fondness for the bling....be it shoes, jewelry, purses, clothing and my all time favorite, the body glitter. Not everyone knows this but there are many forms of the glitter. There is the big, bad-ass, I-can-see-ya-coming from a mile away form...the stuff that could cause flash-blindness (similar to snow blindness). Then there is the more subtle version...the shimmery, sheer, glisteny type that makes your skin glow...perfect for summer. My preference is the body sugar...a bit of the eye blindness and the shimmer all combined one.

So, back to the pact. Laura and I have decided that the funeral would not be complete without the glitter somehow incorporated. I must say, though, she was not so keen on the whole idea at first. So I had to slowly add the glitter to her life. It was a task, looking back, that I think was well accomplished.

When we had any social outings, I would run to my purse to get my mini travel vial of the body bling, and be adamant on asking would she like some. At first, her answer was, no, no....I couldn't wear that stuff. But after many tries, she finally gave it up and the initial application was a success. I think she secretly LOVED the way it looked.

So, now it is a staple in our lives. We (well, mostly me)go no where without it. At New Year's Eve this past year, I purchased the most DELECTABLE glitter eyeliner. It was perfect! It really IS all about the accessories, I always say. So, she too, was convinced her outfit would not be complete unless there was some Kaa the Snake eye action going on. My work was done.

So, when my untimely death does occur (after many years of entertaining at the senior's complex), rest assured that there WILL be glitter...oh yes. Just like confetti at wedding, each guest will have their own mini vial, to toss at the casket as it rolls on by. I figure I can make an exit that rivals any of Erica Kane's entrances.

And Laura, just think of it as the sprinkles on a giant cupcake!!

I think it is only natural that this should reflect in what I bake, hence the recipe this time! Gotta love cupcakes!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Vanilla Cupcakes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cupcakes:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing:
Vanilla Buttercream, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers.

In a small bowl, combine the flour,baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.

Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Vanilla Buttercream Icing:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup milk (I used 1/2 milk, half coffee cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Icing can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Yield: enough for 2 dozen cupcakes

Comments

Anonymous said…
MMMMMMMMM....... these do looks delish Wendy!
Yes, the ever popular body glitter. Well maybe it is just popular with us few "maritime crows".
I too, am quite taken with the stuff . Nothing makes freshly tanned skin glow more than a dab of the "DEW".
You are just like your cupcakes full of sparkle.!!
Kimmie C.
Anonymous said…
Wendy you are a glittering legend!
Hugs
Ann
Anonymous said…
Good times with the body glitter!
Anonymous said…
Yummy Wendy... I made these badboys to take to my little cousins in Port Hawkesbury! Absolutely perfect!

Love Trish